Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Tuesday Teaser!!!

****TUESDAY TEASER****

Same drill as always y'all...this had NOT been edited and is subject to change before publishing. 

From my new series....Broken...expected release November 2013

Layton's POV

We walked side by side as we approached the house. The closer we got the bigger it got. 
“Jesus…this house is huge. Just you live here?”
He let out a laugh and walked up onto the back porch. As we walked into the house we walked right into an eating area. It was nothing but windows looking out over the beautiful Texas hill country views. I walked into the kitchen and almost let out a whimper. I thought my parents had a beautiful kitchen, this was straight out of a magazine.
“Holy shit. I could have an orgasm just standing in this kitchen.” I placed my hand on top of the island and walked as I took everything in and ran my hand along the cool granite. When I looked up at him he had removed his cowboy hat and all I saw was a pile of messy brown hair. Holy shit…it was that ‘just fucked’ hair that Courts always talking about. Be cool, Whitley. Be. Cool.
Layton let out a laugh. “Well, I’ve never had anyone say that about my kitchen before.”
I turned and looked at him. “You have to have a party here! I mean…if this is just the kitchen, I can’t imagine what the rest of the house looks like.”
His smile faded and he walked away. Shit. What’d I say?
I followed him past a butler’s pantry, then past a huge formal dinning room and into a breath taking living room. I’d never seen a living room so big in my entire life, nothing but floor to ceiling windows, again, looking out to the hill country.
Then I saw them. I slowly looked around and saw nothing but dead animals on the walls. A huge elk was on the fireplace just staring at me. Deer…turkey…
Oh. My. God. Is that a fox?
“You have a fox…you have a dead fox on your wall!”
Layton let out a laugh. “Yes ma’am I do. I like to hunt.”
I spun around and looked at him. “Please at least tell me you eat the meat and you’re not one of those men who just likes to hunt to kill.”
“I make some of the best Elk beef stew around. Want some?”
“Eeewwwa. Gross! No thank you.” Just then two labs came running up to us. One was black and the other was brown. Oh…I love labs! I bent down and was attacked with nothing but wet kisses from both.
“All Right y’all, leave her be. Kennels.” And with that they both ran into another room. I looked up at him with a questioning look.
“Kennels?”
“Yep. I just have to say it and they go lay down in their kennels.”
Jesus H. Christ. The thought of him training his dogs to listen so well was a total turn on.
I pulled out my cell phone. Shit! Still no signal.
“Um…I still don’t have a signal. Do you have a land line I could use?”
Layton walked over and picked up a telephone and pulled out a book at the same time. He flipped through a few pages and then started dialing a number.
“Jack? Hey, it’s Layton Morris.”
Morris. Something about his name was so damn sexy. Oh my god…what in the hell is wrong with me? Stop it, Whitley. You’re done with men. Forever. They are nothing but evil bastards who only want to take everything from you and leave you empty and alone.
“Yep…It’s on the south side of my property on old mills road. Yeah sure, it’s Whitley…” He looked over at me and raised his eyebrow. Really? He forgot my last name already.
“Reynolds…” I said with a sarcastic tone as I rolled my eyes.
“Your cell or home number so he can reach you.” He said with a smirk.
“Oh…” I rattled off my cell phone number and my home number. I took advantage of Layton talking with Jack on the phone and looked around his house more. I walked to another room and peaked in. It was a huge den and office. Again, covered in dead animals. If I didn’t know any better, I would swear that deer was turning it’s head and following me.
Yuk! I’d have nightmares living here. I saw a desk and noticed a few pictures on it. I walked over and picked up a picture of Layton and another guy who looked to be a few years older than Layton.
Brother maybe? Damn…these two boys are drop dead gorgeous.
“Jack’s on his way to get your car.”
I jumped and damn near dropped the picture. “Shit! You scared the hell out of me.”
“You enjoy walking around snooping in people’s homes?”
I instantly felt my cheeks turn hot. I placed the picture back down on the desk and quickly walked out of the room and back into the living room. As I passed him I whispered, “I’m so sorry.”
I made my way back through the kitchen and out onto the back porch where I stood and took in a few deep breaths. The breeze blowing was just cool enough to help me cool off from the instant hot flash that swept through my body. I didn’t know if I was pissed at how he had just treated me or embarrassed that I was caught snooping in his office.
He opened the door and step outside onto the wooden porch. I heard him walk up to me as he came and stood next to me.
“I’m sorry, that was rude of me. I’m just not use to people walking around in my office.”
I slowly turned and looked him in the eyes. There was such sadness there. I wanted to ask him who was in the picture with him but just by his reaction I already had a feeling I knew who it was.
“No, I shouldn’t have walked into your study like that. I’m terribly sorry. So um…you’ll let me know who’s coming to get my car?”
“Oh yeah…here. I wrote it down for you. Jack’s probably the best mechanic in town. Your in good hands.”
As he handed me the paper our fingers touched. He jerked his hand back and then ran it through that messy hair before putting his hat back on. I shoved the paper into my purse and then looked back out towards the hills, my fingers still tingling from where he touched me.
“I bet the sunsets are amazing on this porch.” I said as I glanced over towards him.
He smiled but then it faded. “Yeah, they’re pretty amazing.”
“Surly there’s someone special you share all this with?” I said with a smile. He turned and looked at me and the hurt in his eyes was more than I could stand.
“No, Whitley, there’s no one."

Broken Kelly Elliott 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment